Chefany

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

James Durbin's wedding cake and other cake matters...

Since it has been almost one year since I have written a word... I thought I might begin by sharing some of my lastest greatest creations! I will also add some tips and tricks I used to make the cakes beautiful in case any of you are interested in cake decorating and like the designs that I fashioned.
First of all my big thrill of the year! James and Heidi Durbin's wedding cake!
If you are not familiar with them, James was on Season 10 of American Idol and really should have won if you ask me but all is fair since he came in forth, got a record deal, sold 40,000 records the first two weeks it came out and was recently married to the love of his life and the mother of his beautiful little boy!
I had the extraordinary opportunity to make their wedding cake!
First of all, I would like to share with you the inspiration for the design:
Heidi, his wife has Faithfully on hers and James has Forever Yours on his. Both are lyrics from the Journey song "Faithfully. Kinda romantic... even if you don't like tattoos, right?
So here is the cake:
She wanted something more romantic and feminine and he a bit more rock and roll, so I came up with this idea! it embodies both and is very personal as well. I was thrilled to be part of their special day!

So here is how I did it:
First you should know that this is a buttercream cake NOT fondant icing!
Second the ribbon around the bottom is real satin ribbon this way if you client doesn't really like fondant, the ribbon can be easily removed.
Lastly the lettering I made with black fondant that I bought already colored, way easier than trying to make black!
I made each letter by hand by rolling out each little piece and forming the letters on a marked "cutting mat" that has graphic measurements on it so I can make sure the letters are all the same size.
I followed the picture of the tattoos for the main words and found a website with fancy lettering for tattoos to design the initials on the bottom layer.
I then used a white luster dust to highlight each letter making them pop even more.
After letting them dry for a couple of days, I assembled them piece by piece. By that I mean that each line was separate from the others in the letter. For instance, the F has a top line, a middle line and smaller curly lines for accent. Each one was placed on the cake separately. I did not glue them together until they went on the cake. This way I could prevent cracking as I tried to place flat letters around a round surface. It worked beautifully!
They were so happy with the cake that the bride emailed me at 2:30 AM on her wedding night to tell me so! And if that were not enough, on Monday January 9th 2012 People magazine did an article on the wedding with a video showing them cutting the cake and then they mentioned The Cake Shoppe by Chefany as the creator of the cake!! Wooooo HOOOO!!!

9 comments:

Rodney Negosa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rodney Negosa said...

Hi Chef, glad to you know you're doing well. That cake is so cool! I was wondering how you did the lettering since it doesn't look piped. Thanks for the fondant tip. It'll come in handy for my future cake designs. Thanks Chef and take care.

Anonymous said...

I've helped Steve with lettering before and I know how frustrating in can be. Thanks for the helpful tips! Your lettering looks so much like their tattoos. Great job!

chefany said...

I am so glad I can help out for you both!! the art pad realllllly helps I got it at an art supply store!

Spike said...

This cake is amazing, the words on the cake are just like on their arms. Very nice cake, great tips. Thank you for sharing.

Stephanie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Wenni Donna said...

Great to know about your wedding cake and bakery services. Want to book a wedding cake for my sister’s wedding in couple of weeks. It’s being arranged at one of finest Malibu wedding venues and want everything perfect there.

cakesuppliesandrentals.com said...

Nice article, I found it very informative, we as cakes supplies and rentals offer cup cakes, cookies decoration and packaging supplies, and also offer a range of non-edible and edible luster dusts, sparkle dusts and glitters to make sugar flowers, cakes and cupcakes shine.
Visit us at:
luster dust

seo partners said...

شركة المثالية لمكافحة الحشرات بالخبر
شركة المثالية لمكافحة الحشرات بالقطيف
شركة المثالية لمكافحة الحشرات بالدمام